ralphy wrote:
> ...download a 'lame binary for macOS'
> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/utility/lame-3.100-osxhs.tar.gz/download)
> instead.

Thanks!  I end up with a small unix-executable, "lame".

I put it in this folder,
~/Library/Caches/Squeezebox/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin

I did this because of what @triode wrote elsewhere, -"I'm being cautious
about mp3 codecs and not including them in the shipped binary - there
should be instructions in the zip of where to get the compatible decoder
library, just put it in the same place as the squeezelite binary." -

So now that lame executable  it sits next to libFLAC.8.dylib,
squeezelite-osx, and squeezelite-osx-i386.
It seems to have read-write-exec all enabled for everyone.

But when I restart LMS, and attempt to play an MP3 with localplayer, I
get the same error.