You guys are incredible detectives and I'm learning an awful lot.  I'm
very glad I decided to take this project on and engage the support of
the forums as it's filling in a lot of the knowledge gaps I've had
around my love of both computers and audio.

Here's what I've discovered:

@Ronnie - Your suggestion of switching the Squeezelite Soundcard setting
was well targeted:  I changed the *SoundCard *line in
*/usr/local/bin/squeeezelite_settings.sh *from
SL_SOUNDCARD="*dmix*:CARD=audioinjectorpi"  to
SL_SOUNDCARD="*hw*:CARD=audioinjectorpi,DEV=0".  This made Squeezelite
play at normal speed/pitch again (see results below). Of note, I DID
leave on the *DEV=0,*" on the entry as it was already there.  However,
when I tried to simultaneously play another audio file in VLC, an error
was returned in VLC stating that the audio device DMIX was "Busy".
When I changed the entry back to DMIX the playback speed and pitch in
Squeezelite increased again, but also, as expected, audio sharing was
re-established across applications.

@Bpa - Thanks for suggesting the details of the files.  Note that both
playback time and pitch are affected.  As far as I can tell, the track
isn't being played back through any kind of transcoders or processing.
Or at least, I haven't set any up, so if they are they are part of the
default install of my AudioInjector card, LMS or Squeezelite I suppose.
The test file is an MP3 stored on a USB drive attached to a networked
PC. However, I also notice that playback of a network stream (SomaFM,
Venice Classic Radio) also renders the same problem affecting both speed
and pitch. (I wasn't sure until I chose a Classic Rock radio station
where I could hear familiar music - Tom Petty's Refugee as if he's 9
years old :rolleyes:).  After a few minutes of playback I hear
"corrections" in the stream dropping, skipping, stuttering.

Of note, VLC's playback speed/pitch doesn't appear to be affected by
DMIX.  It seems that Squeezelite gets a little "excited" being hooked up
to the ALSA Dmix plugin.  If you guys like I could make an audio capture
of the differences in pitch for your listening pleasure. 9 year old
David Gilmore :cool:.

STATISTICS

Windows Attributes:
Speak To Me - Breathe
Length: 03:57
Bit rate: 128kbs
Size: 3.62mb
VLC Codec Info on Windows
Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
Type: Audio
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 32
Bitrate: 128 kb/s
VLC Codec Info  on Pi
Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
Type: Audio
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 32
Bitrate: 128 kb/s
LMS File Attributes
File Format: MP3
Duration: 3:57
Bitrate: 128kbps CBR
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
File Length: 3,799,144
- Breathe.mp3
Tag Version: ID3v2.3.0, ID3v1.1
View Tags
Title: Speak To Me - Breathe
Playback Times:
Squeezelite time to play 3:57 sec file when HW is selected - 3:57
Squeezelite time to play 3:57 sec file when DMIX is selected - 3:38 (19
seconds faster)
VLC Windows time to play 3:57 sec file - 3:57
VLC Pi time to play 3:57 sec file when HW is selected - 3:57
VLC Pi time to play 3:57 sec file when DMIX is selected - 3:57