noexit wrote:
> You guys are incredible detectives and I'm learning an awful lot.  I'm
> very glad I decided to take this project on and engage the support of
> the forums as it's filling in a lot of the knowledge gaps I've had
> around my love of both computers and audio.
>
> Here's what I've discovered:
>
> @Ronnie - Your suggestion of switching the Squeezelite Soundcard setting
> was well targeted:  I changed the *SoundCard *line in
> */usr/local/bin/squeeezelite_settings.sh *from
> SL_SOUNDCARD="*dmix*:CARD=audioinjectorpi"  to
> SL_SOUNDCARD="*hw*:CARD=audioinjectorpi,DEV=0".  This made Squeezelite
> play at normal speed/pitch again (see results below). Of note, I DID
> leave on the *DEV=0,*" on the entry as it was already there.  However,
> when I tried to simultaneously play another audio file in VLC, an error
> was returned in VLC stating that the audio device DMIX was "Busy".
> When I changed the entry back to DMIX the playback speed and pitch in
> Squeezelite increased again, but also, as expected, audio sharing was
> re-established across applications.
>
> @Bpa - Thanks for suggesting the details of the files.  Note that both
> playback time and pitch are affected.  As far as I can tell, the track
> isn't being played back through any kind of transcoders or processing.
> Or at least, I haven't set any up, so if they are they are part of the
> default install of my AudioInjector card, LMS or Squeezelite I suppose.
> The test file is an MP3 stored on a USB drive attached to a networked
> PC. However, I also notice that playback of a network stream (SomaFM,
> Venice Classic Radio) also renders the same problem affecting both speed
> and pitch. (I wasn't sure until I chose a Classic Rock radio station
> where I could hear familiar music - Tom Petty's Refugee as if he's 9
> years old :rolleyes:).  After a few minutes of playback I hear
> "corrections" in the stream dropping, skipping, stuttering.
>
> Of note, VLC's playback speed/pitch doesn't appear to be affected by
> DMIX.  It seems that Squeezelite gets a little "excited" being hooked up
> to the ALSA Dmix plugin.  If you guys like I could make an audio capture
> of the differences in pitch for your listening pleasure. 9 year old
> David Gilmore :cool:.
>
> STATISTICS
>
> Windows Attributes:
> Speak To Me - Breathe
> Length: 03:57
> Bit rate: 128kbs
> Size: 3.62mb
> VLC Codec Info on Windows
> Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
> Type: Audio
> Channels: Stereo
> Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
> Bits per sample: 32
> Bitrate: 128 kb/s
> VLC Codec Info  on Pi
> Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
> Type: Audio
> Channels: Stereo
> Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
> Bits per sample: 32
> Bitrate: 128 kb/s
> [...]

I note that the file mentioned above is 128kbps mp3. You will notice the
difference even more if you re-rip it as FLAC!

Seriously 128kbps is low grade audio by today’s standards. If all of
your music is at this level then you will be re-ripping at some point
for sure.

Most of us made mistakes when we first started ripping and have had to
re-rip after using LMS for a while. I know I did.

When you find yourself at this point (you will), make sure you come back
here for advice in the Ripping, Tagging area so that hopefully you will
only ever need to do it again once not multiple times. There are things
that are easy to miss without detailed knowledge of what LMS is capable
of.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng