On Michael's advice I removed all third party plugins to try to identify
a problem I was experiencing. When I came to reinstall them I was unable
to install the Bookmark plugin - no error message was received but when
the server restarted the plugin was back in the list of uninstalled
plugins. I will try again tomorrow once my scanning has completed.

Add server.plugins and plugin.extensions to the logging options, make the setting stick. Install once again, restart LMS. You should now find all kinds of information in server.log about what LMS did during plugin installation/initialization. Search for "bookmark".

(and don't forget to reset logging options and make that reset selection stick!)

--

Michael