I go my hands on a cheap Google Nest Mini to play around with. After
installing the plugin and selecting the binary the player turned up
nearly immediately. Kudos philippe_44! Great job.

I then spent some time to get synchronized playback working. Sadly to no
avail. I am using a picorePlayer as server which is streaming to another
piCorePlayer connected via HDMI to a receiver and the Nest Mini.
Playing around with the mini's "player audio delay" and "player start
delay" did not lead to any stable results. Even when the sound was
synchronized during one track synchronization could be lost with the
next.

Is this something which could work with the correct (transcoding?)
settings, or is the playback of chromecast devices unstable no matter
what?