I didn't know what you meant by SSODS, so I Googled for it, and found
the item and the related readme.txt.

The problem seems to be that the instructions for installing AlienBBC
really are not the full instructions but only mention the changes
needed in this installation from the standard installation.

So, you need to get hold of AlienBBC, which presumably you got from the
AlienBBC section of the Plugins page, and combine the installation
instructions given there with the instructions in the SSODS readme.txt

The specific problem is that the readme.txt, because it is referring to
a whole bunch of plugins, just suggests that they should be in a Plugins
folder inside the slimserver folder.

But steps 2 and 3 of the AlienBBC installation instructions say the the
downloaded tar file has to be untarred and put in the slimserver folder,
and in fact they are slightly inaccurate if a Plugins folder or a Bin
folder already exist. What you need to do is have the Alien folder
inside a Plugins folder in your slimserver folder, and the file
mplayer.sh in a Bin folder in the slimserver folder.

What I can't see is how come you don't have an mplayer.sh file, unless
it exists in your untarred download but has not been copied/moved to
its proper place.

As far as I can see, you don't need to download mplayer as this is part
of the SSODS installation, but you do need to edit the
custom-convert.conf file because the installed mplayer has a slightly
unusual name.

I can't speak about checking shares, as I don't know precisely what is
needed. You should look at the main AlienBBC instructions and the SSODS
instructions and you should be able to work this bit out.

--
danco