mcoste wrote:
> thanks @bpa for the detailed answer.
>
> FYI when playing AAC, LMS reports 192kbps and mp3 128 kbps.
> Surprisingly, just as I'm typing I'm getting lots of interruptions of
> the FIP Nouveautés stream. I'll give HLS a try, though based on what you
> wrote there's no reason for it to change. Unless the "Reliable" plugin
> helps?
PlayHLS uses different HTTP code so Reliable plugin will not affect it.

> EDIT: after installing PlayHMS, LMS reports 252kbps CDB
>
> Does Radio France actually stream at these different rates?

Some station offer higher speeds over HLS - not sure the reason perhaps
to encourage moving over to HLS.   In newer version HLS can support
"inserts" - say for localised advertising in a national service. HLS has
other adminstration advantages over plain http.

The bitrate of a station as displayed by LMS can be unreliable. For
"normal" http stream the bit rate can be declared in the http or icy
header - this can be fiction and totally unrelated to the actual
bitrate.

For MP3 and AAC - the bitrate is also encoded in the framing -  I can't
remember which LMS uses to display - the declared bit rate or the
encoded one.

How PlayHLS determine the actual audio bitrate can vary according to the
stream.  IIRC plugin usually provides the bitrate as taken from the
encoded bit rates. However some station will transmit two channels - a
video and audio. The "video" can often be just station logo - so the
audio part of HLS stream is only a fraction of the stream bit rate - if
necessary plugin estimate the audio bitrate from size of audio
frames/sec. ,