Ron F. wrote:
> The Marantz N6006 looks like a nice streamer, but the published spec I
> found does not indicate support for Ogg Vorbis. I assume then when using
> Spotty, slimserver will transcode the Spotify Ogg Vorbis stream to 705
> kbps FLAC and stream that to the N6006 client. This is a reasonable
> outcome. Transcoding to AAC - another lossy format, can only result in
> degradation of the incoming stream.
>

> Looking at the slimserver convert.conf file, it does not appear there
> are any rules for transcoding to AAC, but I imagine a custom rule could
> be added using [sox] that would do this. It would have to be sox, as
> faac is not included in the slimserver package.
>
> Edit: Oops - my bad: Sox does not appear to support transcoding to AAC.
> Later today, out of curiosity, I will try to create a custom convert
> rule that transcodes to AAC using faac.

Hi Ron
Thanks for that. Yes indeed you are quite right the Spotty slimserver
does convert the Ogg stream to FLAC. The Marantz is a nice piece of kit.
Having played around with it a bit I personally find the AAC stream from
Spotty via Spotify Connect (which is supported natively by the Marantz)
is excellent. To my ears, I'm not getting the same definition or detail
from the converted Ogg stream via Slimserver. I suppose I was hoping
that the Spotty plugin could also stream the native AAC from Spotify.
But as I said it's really no big deal particularly as most of the
squeezebox hardware doesn't handle native AAC. Be even better if Spotify
started streaming in FLAC but no doubt that would cost more....ho hum//
Cheers
Michael