Ron F. wrote:
> Under normal usage, when the player volume is fixed, showing "Fixed" and
> disabling volume controls in material is correct. I imagine for most
> users, including myself, this would be the desired behavior. So Craig,
> for alternative usage may I suggest an option: (yes, yet another
> option,) added to material's settings menu, to the effect "Volume
> controls: ignore player's fixed volume setting, if set." Would this work
> for everybody?

Wouldn't this just overcomplicate matters? Is there really a case for
adding another "settings" option that doesn't fundamentally change what
already happens — i.e.

If the player volume is fixed, altering the setting only has an effect
if, as in gnackwatschn's set up, there's a plugin that recognizes volume
changes and which passes them on to some hardware.  In all other cases,
altering the volume setting is just ignored.

Actually, it could be incorporated in the current player "Volume
Control" option with a change of wording to the existing options — eg,

- "Player output fixed at 100%, but control changes passed through"
  (or whatever wording makes best sense to users)
- "Volume control adjusts player output directly"

Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a
Pi4.