psketch wrote:
> Hmm ; that's a shame.  Global claim to be the largest radio group in
> Europe now with 25 million people listening in the UK each week, so, on
> the very large assumption that all of the globalplayer stations use the
> same approach, it would be a really nice addition, and now the HD
> streaming thrown into the mix.
>
> Did Michael comment further on the need for backward compatibility on
> AnyEvent?  From that thread, it looked like he was saying it would need
> backward compat., which makes perfect sense, vs. there was some kind of
> known issue with 7.x vs. 5.x.  Was it more "we don't know if it works"
> vs. "there's known problems".  If it's the former, is it worth a
> conversation with Michael to see if upgrading AnyEvent is an option, as
> that seems to have the widest benefit, vs. writing some kind of
> standalone proxy.

Looking at updating AnyEvent is on my (long) todo list as it would be
useful for another idea I have.

IIRC Beside the "whether it works ", Michael had more basic concerns
because of problems in building any library module for Perl for Windows
(stuck as 5.14 as longer supported by vendor).  Around same time there
were problem update SSL libraries but Ralphy managed to build new SSL
libraries which meant LMS got reasonable "https" support. Summary - i
feel AnyEvent module could be updated & rebuilt - then "does it work"
can be tested. Just time is needed and unlikely to be Michael's as there
is no pressing need for it.  The simplest approach would be to test 7.*
on Linux and if OK - try to build for Windows.