psketch wrote:
> Now that @expectingtofly is spoiling us with lots of great addins, I
> wondered if anyone had had a look at the feasibility of a plugin for
> GlobalPlayer.  For me, this would be for ClassicFM mostly, but there are
> loads of stations in their stable now.  The main advantage vs. a stream
> is they now claim to offer HD audio through their app if you sign up for
> an account.
>
> No idea of course if there's an API available of course, but if they're
> restricting it to people signed in with an account, I guess there's
> reason for them to want to enable as broad access as possible - more
> ability to profile us vs. if we just listen to a stream.

I've just got around to looking at this.

To write a plugin is quite straight forward (to replicate whats
available on the web site).  Although, as @paulwebster mentioned, the
meta data provision uses web sockets, so the meta data would be limited
The problem is they only make available very low bitrate streams (48
kbps) available via this unauthenticated method, which particularly for
classic fm, makes the whole exercise completely pointless.

They do make what they call "HD streams" available through their app of
192 kbps (I had a look at their android app) if you sign in.   By a bit
of proxy sniffing I can see that these "hd" streams are open  (e.g
http://media-ssl.musicradio.com/ClassicFMHD ) but are protected by
requiring the passing of a "hdauth" token as part of the URL.  Which, by
the looks of it, is probably possible to reverse engineer, but they
obviously do not want anyone to do that as it is all very well hidden.

EXPECTINGTOFLY PLUGINS :

- *BBC Sounds* :
  https://github.com/expectingtofly/LMS_BBC_Sounds_Plugin
- *BBC Sounds Wiki* :