ButC wrote:
> Up until 8-9 years ago I also relied on internet radio stations to
> provide me with new music. But after starting using Spotify I have to
> say that pretty much every new song or artist the last 6-7 years has
> come from Spotifys algorithms.
>
> Spotify has mainly three ways that I use for finding new music:
>
> 1. Each Monday they present a playlist called Discover Weekly, which is
> music similar to that of the music I listened to previous week. It's
> definitely not perfect but I've found many new artists and songs with
> it.
>
> 2. One can go through ones own favourite songs and in Spotify choose to
> start a Radio (i.e. a playlist with similar songs based on that
> particular favorite song of yours) for each and every one of those. This
> is probably the way I've found the most new artists and songs.
>
> 3. Spotify creates about six playlists based on the songs I play the
> most or like the most. They're playlists with different genres of music,
> and those playlists consists of songs I already know and like, and songs
> I might not have heard before.
>
> A fourth way of discovering "new" music I've practiced this last year or
> so, is the Random Mix / Song Mix of LMS, which let's me rediscover music
> I haven't listened to in years.

I think this merits a new thread - I am interested in views on this.

I use Spotify, largely to listen to music before I decide whether or not
to buy it (generally either download or vinyl, rarely CD). I think this
remunerates the artists better than Spotify plays alone.

I wouldn't choose Spotify over owning a collection, because online
services may turn out to be rather ephemeral. I also like to fine tune
tags to my preference.

I find out about new (to me) music to check out via several source -
magazines (Mojo for classic rock, Wire for the more experimental),
various websites and their mailings e.g. Bandcamp, recommendations from
various music stores, and of course the 'What am I listening to' thread
on these forums. Occasionally Spotify suggests something interesting to
me, but not often because I generally don't listen to Spotify-curated
playlists. I have in the past shared Spotify playlists with friends,
which is useful.

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material  with files on QNAP
TS-251A
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
*Office:* LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3;  Raspberry Pi 3 player with
touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
*Portable:* Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate
portable drive, powered via power brick