mherger wrote:
> > By investigating the network, I can see that all the devices are
> > requesting spotify-connect._tcp.local via mDNS/5353 and getting no
> > reply. I have seen many posts suggesting to map port 5353/udp to the
> > container but as far as I can tell, no process actually *binds* to
> this
> > port (and I checked that it is free and not already used by another
> host
> > process or container). Anyway, port is mapped and it doesn't help.
>
> It's my understanding that the helpers would not "bind" to that port but
>
> listen to UDP broadcasts on that port. And those broadcasts don't make
> it through to the container. From what I understand most solved this
> problem using Docker's host mode networking.

Thanks, it is starting to make sense. By further investigating, I also
realize that by default a host doesn't receive the mDNS multicast
traffic (IP 224.0.0.251). Typically, a Linux host first have to start
the avahi-daemon and this triggers a "registration" to tell the whole
networks "hey, please also send me mDNS queries". I therefore see two
1) Have avahi running on the docker host and have the container use
"host" networking
2) Have the container use a dedicated LAN IP (using macvlan or ipvlan
docker networks) and have avahi running *inside* the container.

I'll make some further tests and report here.

Cheers!