castalla wrote:
> tc@pCP:~$ free
Comparing my figures with yours and while there is some difference there
is still plenty of free memory.  Free memory doesn't change much when
I'm playing a CD track so I think shortage of memory is unlikely to be
the issue.

The setups are so similar, yet yours doesn't work and there is nothing
obviously different. All I can assume is that there is a difference
between the setups which may be "Normal" to one and "non-standard" to
the other and so it is not mentioned. So I have to re-examine the
obvious to find the difference.

I come back to my pet subject - power to the CD drive.
Your previous email could be read that an external adaptor supplies
power to CD drive and single "data" USB connection to the Pi. Photos of
the CD drive do not show a socket for external adaptor just a Y cable.
I really need a clear answer as I know from experience inadequate power
to CD drive will result in erratic behaviour.

IIRC The Pi3 can only supply 1.2 amp aggregated across all USB ports.
The dmesg indicate a USB Hub is
Can you answer the following.
1. Do you have an external USB hub attached to the Pi ? If so is the USB
hub externally powered ?
2. Is the CD drive Y cable is being used with *both* connections to
either Pi or maybe to a externally power Hub
3. Bluetooth is active. What is the Bluetooth used for ?

Code:

  bpa
  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
  Mem:         996096      142064      716244       26496      137788
811628
  Swap:        237804           0      237804

  castalla
  Mem:         996096      206088      569392       56852      220616
717244
  Swap:        238544           0      238544