Grebg, thanks for this, very good to hear of your experience.

Have you ever tried iPeng on MacOS? M1 Macs will run some iOS apps, and
my laptop will run iPeng, though it seems to crash with some streams
(but not others).

Anyway, my iPhone SE (2016) seems OK on battery usage with iPeng, as
does my iPad mini 4.

I can't see an obvious way to tell what actual quality (96/24 or
whatever) iPeng is shoving out the headphone jack at any point.

Good advice on trying the cans without a DAC for now, thanks, and I like
your suggestion of the 90 vs 10 balance. My new Grado SR80X arrived
yesterday, so I've been digging in. Much fun!

What DACs have you tried and liked? The miser in me would be interested
in less expensive ones!