Ullid wrote:
> In iTunes, I like to keep persistent ratings stored in the audio files
> in case of iTunes library calamity and I repurpose the Beats per Minute
> (BPM) field for the rating (BPM = 10x iTunes Rating, e.g. 3.5 star =
> 35). Conveniently, it sits under the track rating in the Song Info
> Dialog and its validated as integer (0..100). I periodically do BPM bulk
> updates to align the iTunes rating and BPM value. I think you mentioned
> elsewhere that you maintain LMS and iTunes libraries and transfer
> ratings between them. This hack could be a substitute for the "Comments"
> method you use if users are averse to modifying or appending the
> comments field.
I don't know many users who actually use the BPM tag for its designated
purpose or at all. And it's a tag unlike, for example, the grouping tag
that LMS actually imports. So it doesn't hurt to repurpose it, if you
don't use it otherwise.
RL v2.1.0 will support importing rating values from BPM tags. *But*
you'll have to use the *correct LMS rating values* in your BPM tags. The
scale is 0-100 but to get the correct internal LMS rating values you'll
have to multiply 5-star scale values by 20, i.e. *2*0x iTunes rating.
Your example: 3.5 stars (iTunes) * 20 = 70 (internal LMS database).
However many reasons there are to dislike iTunes or the Music app, the
one good thing is its scriptability. With some Applescript script and
smart playlist it just takes one click to sync iTunes ratings with the
ratings store in the file tags.

*Plugin repositories:* 'Ratings Light'
(https://github.com/AF-1/lms-ratingslight) •••• 'Visual Statistics'
(https://github.com/AF-1/lms-visualstatistics) •••• 'Use Comment Tag