Yes, /usr is normally invisible. You can find it (and other invisible
files) using the Go to Folder item in the Finder's Go menu. Enter /usr
in the box, not just usr.

/usr/local/bin (and perhaps even /usr/local) may not exist. I seem to
remember that installing lame automatically created the /usr/local/bin
folder.

If it doesn't exist then rather than creating it (when you do have to
get permissions right) it may be simpler to put cdda2wav into /usr/bin,
which certainly does exist. As I said before, the only reason for not
putting it there is to separate out items you have installed from those
that are installed by Apple.

It's ages since I have done it. It is possible that if you try to put
cdda2wav into one of these folders using the Finder you will need to
authenticate as administrator, or perhaps even (though this is unusual)
install from an administrator account.

Those who really understand Terminal might find it easier to work with
Terminal, but in this case - and in many others - there are ways of
using the GUI. It's a matter of preference.

By the way, talking of authenticating, etc, it is always best to have
an administrator account but to use a non-admin account for everyday
use.

--
danco