bluegaspode;465050 Wrote:
> Any idea how to improve this? In the first version, I always showed the
> 'rain'-icon when there was a chance of rain. But I didn't like it - if
> you look at wunderground, sometimes its just a possibility of 20% of
> rain (this data unfortunately isn't available in the data feed) so a
> rain-icon just didn't fit all the time - I found it more interesting if
> it will be a little sunny day or not.
> On the other hand I didn't want to conceal that there was a propability
> of rain.
> <snip>
> I'll create an option to switch, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the prompt responses to those suggestions. It's great having
the time-of-day and the C/F options.

I'm surprised to hear you say that the chance of precipitation is not
available in the data feed, because the WeatherDateTime (WDT) plugin for
the players with VFD screens has that info, and it also gets its feed
from wunderground.com. As for other animations, what does a sun with
clouds flashing on/off mean? For example, for tomorrow I'm seeing
"Clear" with just a sun icon on the wunderground.com site, but for the
same location your applet is showing a sun with clouds flashing on and
off. Is that "chance of clouds"? The following day is predicted partly
cloudy, and the icons on the web site and your applet are a static sun
with clouds, which is what I would expect.

There are two other things I'd like you to consider. To my eye, the
main weather icon takes up too much space relative to the text. In my
opinion the icon could be shrunk and either make the text bigger or add
a provision for a third line of data. Secondly, what about using the
whole screen for current conditions, and making subsequent days
available via a button or wheel? I'm thinking here of something like the
WDT approach, although I expect it would be harder to implement with the
LCD devices because the UIs are different across players (SBC wheel &
buttons vs. SB Radio knob(s) vs. SB Touch's IR remote and touchscreen).
But maybe there's some way to do it.

I'm sure that some of my comments come from being a happy user of WDT
(and sometimes SuperDateTime) for a few years, so I'd like to see some
of the same functionality on the players with LCD screens. But I also
understand that you don't necessarily just want to port WDT to the newer
players, you want to have your own creation, and I certainly can't argue
with that. Anyway, thanks again for an excellent applet.

--
aubuti