Before nuking the prefs dir, you may want to open a terminal, make sure
SB server is not running, and then try running
/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server (or some binary name akin to that in
/usr/sbin). I think the --help option will show you all the parameters.
Normally the server will stay in the foreground, perhaps you'll learn
more about the cause of the crash.

(I recall this happened to me once, for some mysterious reason the
server.prefs file contained binary data instead of  config strings. The
server was dying on reading the conf file, pretty early after launch.
Removing the file solved the restart problem.)

--
epoch1970