Just thought I'd give an update:  I took a new box, did a brand new XP
install, installed MiP 1.9b and SBS 7.4.2.  It worked great--until I
used shortcuts in SBS--then the same problem.  I uninstalled everything,
and tried MiP 1.8 (the last public release I believe) with the exact
same results.  I can only assume there is something I'm not doing
correctly--although how one screws up creating shortcuts is beyond me.
I have it working with both the MiP GUI and headless and no SBS
shortcuts without any issues.

The one consistent issue is that
http://127.0.0.1:10002/api/songs?extended has never worked with me.
Even when MiP is working great with SBS (when SBS is not using library
shortcuts).  Other than stopping and starting the MiP service, is there
anything at all accessible to me that would let me
troubleshoot/configure/do anything at all about this?

Barring an answer to that last question, I give up at this point.
Hopefully SBS allows multiple physical paths to be scanned at some
point.  Until then...

I do appreciate all the help I got in this thread--I'm just sorry I
couldn't make use of it.

--
Ultraviolet