Morbeas wrote:
> I would completely agree except that this progression of (not
> necessarily in this order) Anthrax, Alice In Chains, Blind Melon,
> Aerosmith, Aretha Franklin, Badlands, Billy Joel always comes up in all
> mixes within the first 5 songs.  I mean I do agree and enjoy a slight
> variation (which is why I have my variation setting at 2) but not within
> 5 songs!  I'm thinking it should take more like 100 songs for it to go
> from Anthrax to Aretha Franklin.  Otherwise if all I wanted to listen to
> was metal, I certainly would not go through this hassle and just use my
> NAS' built-in audio application and have it pick random tracks from any
> given genre.  To me, that's not what this is about, though.  I do want
> it to go from Meshuggah to Pink Floyd to Miles Davis and back up to A
> Perfect Circle to AC/DC to Pantera etc.  Isn't it this exact thing what
> the "variety" setting is supposed to be controlling?

What happens if you in the MusicIP application creates a few mixes from
the Blind Melon track ?
Is the Aretha Franklin track part of any of the mixes it produce based
on the Blind Melon track ?

I don't know exactly how SugarCube logic works and it's hard to tell
because it's not possible to look at the code as it's obfuscated, but if
it requests a mix from MusicIP with x number of tracks and just picks a
random track from the mix result to add to the SBS/LMS playlist the
switch from Blind Melon to Aretha Franklin might not be that
unrealistic. I suspect this isn't really an error, I think it might just
be that acoustic analysis works this way so even if your brain think
they aren't similar the acoustic analysis algorithm in MusicIP might
think there are some similarities.

Morbeas wrote:

> Anyway, I'm now going to give Erland's above suggestion a try and see
> where that takes me.

If you have done the archive analysis alternative already I don't think
my suggestion is going to change anything, you can of course still try
it but I suspect you are going to get the same result.

My suggestion if you want to investigate this further is to switch to
cparker's private support forum and ask for help troubleshooting it, I
think he primarily uses his own forum to handle support to users, this
thread is mainly here to make it possible for community members to help
other community members. cparker has access to the non obfuscated code
and knows how the logic is supposed to work, so it would probably be a
lot easier for him to help you troubleshoot it.