I would completely agree except that this progression of (not
necessarily in this order) Anthrax, Alice In Chains, Blind Melon,
Aerosmith, Aretha Franklin, Badlands, Billy Joel always comes up in all
mixes within the first 5 songs.  I mean I do agree and enjoy a slight
variation (which is why I have my variation setting at 2) but not within
5 songs!  I'm thinking it should take more like 100 songs for it to go
from Anthrax to Aretha Franklin.  Otherwise if all I wanted to listen to
was metal, I certainly would not go through this hassle and just use my
NAS' built-in audio application and have it pick random tracks from any
given genre.  To me, that's not what this is about, though.  I do want
it to go from Meshuggah to Pink Floyd to Miles Davis and back up to A
Perfect Circle to AC/DC to Pantera etc.  Isn't it this exact thing what
the "variety" setting is supposed to be controlling?

Again, I'm so incredibly frustrated with this thing.  I pretty much
spend most of my disposable time trobleshooting this thing.  It's become
an unhealthy obsession!  To make matters worse, I'm in the computer
industry myself and can usually fix things like this with relative ease
(hell you can almost perform heart surgery these days with instructions
found by simply properly searching Google).  :)

Anyway, I'm now going to give Erland's above suggestion a try and see
where that takes me.  What took me over the edge today was that it
worked flawlessly when I was testing it for a few hours.  I started with
all kinds of genres and let it go for 15, 20 tracks and it was just
perfect!  LOL I don't know why but the whole thing took a dump just as I
was typing a "thank you" message to you and Erland and wanted to show it
off by taking a screenshot and posting it here!  :)

And about Metallica, they're the band that got me into metal in the
first place back when I was 13 so I can't help but have a soft spot for
them.  Though I do (unfortunately) agree that Metallica after Cliff
Burton was never the same again.  :(