danco wrote:
> I don't have Mountain Lion yet, but I wonder if my old solution would
> work.
>
> There was a little program called Jiggler that prevented sleep by
> simulating a mouse movement every minute or so. I wrote a very simple
> shell script to start and quit Jiggler, and then I used Server Power
> Control to run these scripts at the relevant moments.

Thanks for the reminder about Jiggler Danco.

I have now downloaded 1.4 and tried it under Mountain Lion (bypassing
the warning that it does not have a developer signature). ML really does
have an aggressive sleep policy as Jiggler jiggles but does not prevent
sleep.

I would have been happy to use it as an interim solution if it had
worked, but I remember now why I started using Caffeine - those mouse
jiggles are disconcerting for anyone else in the family who comes to use
my Mac Mini while Jiggler is running.

The way ahead with ML does seem to be with the assertions.