I'm getting further into things.

I'm not sure if the ps -ax bit needs = 1 or = 0. I think it may be 1
when run from the terminal but 0 when part of a shell script.

You can't use caffeinate on a Mac application, only on a Unix command.

So the caffeinate line needs to be

caffeinate -i open -W path to Waiter.app

I have seen suggested that it should be open -W -a but I don't know why
this should be. It may not apply in this case. The -W is important, as
caffeinate only stops sleep as long as open is running, and without the
-W this just opens the application and is then finished, while with -W
open remains active until the application is quit.

One can perhaps tidy up the script with a parameter to put Waiter into
the background (I think it is -g) plus a line (using osascript -e to
call an Applescript) to put Terminal into the background.

It looks to me as though Really Prevent Standby itself would work using
a suitable shell script along those lines to prevent standby rather than
the default option.

I'll be happy to test if Gordon or anyone want to work it out further,
or I might find the time to try it myself, now that I know how to use
caffeinate.