erland wrote:
> As you suspect, dropping and recreating an index will likely load the
> database into the in-memory cache and this is the reason why it improves
> the performance. I don't think I can introduce this as standard as
> having a startup time of several minutes would make the system more or
> less useless for other people, especially people who use the alarm
> functionality and wake up the server through wake on lan before the
> alarm is about to trigger.
>
> There could be ways to optimise the menu SQL in your particular
> configuration, but I need to get some time to look at it in my own
> environment to know for sure.

I agree that delaying startup will probably be unacceptable to many.  I
think I can adjust my habits to live with tit rather than hiccups when
playing later in the day.

Please don't spend time on my menus (unless you have time on your hands,
which I suspect you don't). I have quite a few and they work fine once
run, so I suspect tuning will only make a marginal improvement in
comparison with priming the cache.

LMS 7.8 on VortexBox Midi, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch with
EDO on Ethernet, coax out to a Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC. Wireless
Xubuntu laptop controls server using Chromium.   Meridian Explorer USB
DAC to listen to LMS via Squeezelite on Vortexbox & other PCs as
required.  Spare Touch in loft!