just play a song via spotify (or even your own library). on the playing
song, within the webGUI, righthand "playlist" side, select the M next to
the song. Then you see a menu on the left side. One of the options will
be 'name of song' MIX.  Another will be 'name of artist' MIX.  Choose
either one of these (I suggest 'name of song' MIX.  You should then see
a new playlist start building in the playlist window (and will
automatically get refreshed as older songs get played).

this will get you started and then you can play with other options,
creating recipes, etc.  Frankly, all I ever do is the above (start a mix
from a song). I use a mixture of spotify and my own library for such
mixes (have both ticked in the SmartMix options)

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify