adam2434 wrote:
> Wt0, thanks for this app and thread!
>
> I’ve been searching for alternatives for if/when my SB3 dies, and have
> also been considering a Fire TV.
>
> As I understand it, a TV needs to be connected and powered-on for the
> Fire TV to operate.  Is that correct?
>
> If so, would an HDMI connection to a powered-on AV pre/pro or AVR allow
> (fool) the Fire TV to operate, even if the TV is off or not connected to
> the AV Pre/Pro or AVR.
>
> I would be feeding the Fire TV HDMI to a pre/pro and optical to a DAC,
> using the DAC for the SB music.  I would not mind having the pre/pro
> powered-on for the sole purpose of enabling Fire TV to output SB via
> optical.
>
> Also, will the Fire TV and SB Player output a bit-perfect signal,
> without resampling, etc. (equivalent to the SB3’s digital output)?

I don't own a Fire TV, but from what I gathered from this thread, you
only need to have the TV turned on initially so you can setup the app.
Once it's running you can turn off the TV and even unplug the HDMI
connection.  It's just that if you turn off the TV while music is
playing the music will pause, but you can just press play again.
However, I think that's because SB Player is reacting to the TV turning
off like when headphones are plugged from a phone/tablet.  That behavior
can be turned off in SB Player.

There maybe one limitation though. The ability to auto launch the app
when the Fire TV turns on may not work if the TV is not turned on.  One
user emailed me about having trouble getting that feature to work on the
Fire TV even though others with the Fire TV have said that it works, so
I'm guessing that maybe it is related to the turn being turn on or off.

It won't be bit perfect unless it's 16bit 44.1K audio and even then
there maybe some internal processing that I have no control over.
Android could not handle 24-bit audio until version 5.0 and the Fire TV
is not running 5.0.  Even on Android 5.0 when a USB DAC is connected,
the output is locked to 16/44.1, so it's probably the case with the
optical out on the Fire TV.

Unlike the dedicated hardware of a Squeezebox, the decoded audio from SB
Player has to go through layers of software inside the Android system
before it reaches the output.  Those layers of software are not designed
to switch sampling rates or bit depths on the fly, so to handle gap-less
playback, the output sampling rate and bit depths has to be locked to
one setting once playback starts and any audio that does not have the
same sampling rate or bit depth will be converted. If I tried to switch
output settings for each song, there will be a noticeable gap.

The output sampling rate can be specified by the user in SB Player, but
Android can only handle certain sampling rates.  For Android versions
less than 5.0 the max sampling rate is 48Khz.  Android 5.0 can handle up
to 96Khz. However, SB Player up-samples all output that rate, so it is
not recommended that you set the output to a specific sampling rate
unless all your audio files are of the same rate, since some devices may
not be powerful enough to handle a difficult up-sampling like going from
44.1Khz to 48Khz.  Down-sampling is done by the server before the audio
reaches SB Player. (The caveat is that as I mentioned above, the digital
output is likely to be lock at 16/44.1 so choosing a higher output rate
inside of SB Player may be pointless)

In addition, SB Player supports crossfading and it obviously has to be
done digitally.  As far as I know, there is no way to digitally mix two
audio samples with different sampling rates and//or bit depths without
converting one of the samples.