bpa wrote:
> There is little point in comparing protocols when one is proprietary,
> when shortcomings are found - all Apple needs to do is announce a new
> version: no committees to review, discuss, compromise and take lots of
> time  - I think HLS V5 addresses the issues you highlighted. IIRC BBC
> are only using V1 or 2.
>
> See HLS V7
> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-14.txt
Thanks for all the explanation and the history lesson bpa, very useful
background to the BBC's decision making.

So it looks like we may end up with two "on demand" protocols, HLS and
DASH, the former for Apple and the latter for everything else.
Hopefully the LMS community will continue to support us getting one or
the other ;)

Let us hope that after the change to DASH things will settle down for a
while.  I am sooooo glad I stuck with Squeezebox and LMS and that I did
not go for Sonos as I was considering when Logitech abandoned the
hardware two and a half years ago (yes it has been that long!).

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
SQUEEZEBOXES:[/B] TWO SB DUETS (LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN) AND A
*'PICOREPLAYER' (HTTPS://SITES.GOOGLE.COM/SITE/PICOREPLAYER/HOME)
[b]Server:* Raspberry PI with Squeezeplug & LMS 7.8.  Music stored on
Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
access point
*Livingroom:* Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:*piCorePlayer, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline