utgg wrote:
> I couldn't resist even more fiddling with the alpha HLS plugin; I hope
> you don't mind if you are watching Triode!
>
> With the attached HLS.pm I've done a small optimisation of the string
> copies, as already hinted at by Triode. This reduces the number of bytes
> copied by around 500 fold, and reduces the HLS decoding overhead
> massively on my NAS, from about 40% to about 5% processor load. With
> this change, the earlier bug fix and reduction in FETCH_CHUNKS, I'm very
> happy indeed - streaming is reliable, interface is snappy, and I'm
> heating up the planet just a little less now!
>
> N.B. The attached file has FETCH_CHUNKS = 2, to be conservative. Startup
> is even faster still with that set to 1 though, with no issues that I
> can discern.Thanks to you UTGG and Triode along with BPA and all the other
contributors on this thread for managing to recover BBC high quality
live and listen again streaming to the LMS. In particular UTGG, your mod
to Triode’s code to improve the CPU efficiency has enabled my slow CPU
ReadyNAS SPARC to play the full bit rate streams; before this, just
continual rebuffering and not much sound. I did put LMS on a Raspberry
Pi 2  as a backup and that has plenty of grunt without the mod.

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions and overcoming a much
less than perfect BBC transition but despite all this, we are very lucky
to have them.