nicnet wrote:
> I followed the instructions to remove Pulseaudio, leaving ALSA
> (seemingly) still working.
> But still no luck with the wavin plugin - same results as before.

The key is using the the right ALSA device.  While playing audio over
your speaker etc. test all the available devices using arecord at a
shell prompt using a command somehting like

/usr/bin/arecord -d0 -c2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -twav -D plughw:0,0
>output.wav

After recording say 1 minutes - try playing back the output.wav file.
Do in turn until you find the right device.  arecord -L will list all
possible devices.