On 2024-03-15 12:44, Russ Allbery wrote:
Shawn H Corey<shawnhco...@gmail.com>  writes:

I think it should be an option. Sometimes it is necessary to know that a
change in appearance is caused by changes to a module and not to the
generating document.
Do we need to explicitly state that it's an option, or would removing the
requirement to always do it still be okay?  The way I was thinking of it
is that what formatters put into comments is generally up to them; by
default, they *can* include anything they want.  Removing the requirement
thus just leaves the decision unconstrained.

I'm not sure what you're saying. If it's an option, then it is automatically not a requirement. Unless you mean what information to include is the requirement. In which case, having a standard would be nice.

--