On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 13:47, Joerg Sonnenberger <jo...@bec.de> wrote:
> No, you are missing the point. This is intentionally not using the enum
> directly as the enum would be larger. Using C++11 sized enums on the
> other hand created funny ABI changes.

Really, I'm not missing the point. There was no attempt in my patch to
use C++11 sized enums (I just *said* that c++11 has a concept for
controlling enum size. Also migrating to c++11 type safe enums would
be API breaking, so of course I would not push this change).
Eventually the change pushed by Matthew just changed signed ->
unsigned for a private member, so ABI is not changing at all.