Check out the resources on
https://twitter.com/ebidel/status/781197133072347136. There are some good
explanations there.

Basics:
- Use the standard best practices and you're all set...<title>, anchors
instead of JS, metadata, json-ld, appropriate hierarchies etc.
- Search engines that can crawl and execute JS (Google) have no problem
with Shadow/Shady DOM. They see the final composed DOM tree.
- If you use a single tag like <my-app> , search engines that don't execute
JS may have issues surfacing your content. Try to use light dom as much as
possible for important content (titles, main text content). Shadow DOM
should be used for implementation details of your components.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/CACGqRCCHUs77NECjL6zgnAKLWXxv9k%3D59ip26pX_7fHTTAJ3DQ%40mail.gmail.com.