On Thu, 11 May 2017, at 17:36, David Matthews wrote:
> I don't use Powershell so I don't know what the "| & " sequence does.

As I understand it, the | is a classic pipe, and the & tells it that the
next thing is the name of an external command rather than a builtin. In
fact I never typed the &, the shell just added it when tab-completing
the subsequent command filename.

> If I try the first example under cmd.exe it puts up the GUI as I would
> expect.  Since there's no standard output it will put up the GUI.  The
> second example puts the output in output.txt as expected.

That's interesting, and made me wonder whether I had done something
stupid in the Powershell. The answer turns out to be "maybe":

echo 'print "hello, world\n";' | & "C:\Program Files\Poly ML\PolyML.exe"
> output.txt

produces no output, but

echo 'print "hello, world\n";' | & "C:\Program Files\Poly ML\PolyML.exe"
| Out-File output.txt

works. And of course they both work with the console build of PolyML,
which is odd.

I'm pretty new to Powershell myself (I like it for scripting but still
have to keep referring to the docs) but I did understand that the ">"
redirect was equivalent to using the Out-File cmdlet.

Oh well. Sorry for the mis-(re)direction there.

Chris