On 02/05/2017 21:05, Chris Cannam wrote:
Very interesting, thanks, that gives me a lot to digest.

I had a quick go at getting a console build of the 5.7 release using
VS2015. If I simply naively switch the subsystem from Windows to Console
in the PolyML project, I get "main" unresolved. I can see that WinMain
and main are alternatives in polystub.c, but switching to the other
#ifdef branch here just gives me polymain unresolved instead.

I'd forgotten that setting the subsystem option with the Windows linker also overrides the entry point. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f9t8842e.aspx . You need to set it back by setting the entry point to WinMainCRTStartup .

David