On May 9, 2012, at 17:44, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Please don't add machines which are behind a VPN tunnel to the NTP pool.
> They will experience additional noisy delays as a consequence of the
> VPN crypto which make them undesirable as timeservers.

Two reasons I don't think this is necessarily a "hard rule":

1) The people who'll read a rule like that (or this list) are the people most
likely to take care in maintaining their NTP server, understand how the pool
system works etc.  In other words, the people most likely to follow a rule like
that are not the ones who need to.

2) There are many many other reasons a server is undesirable as a timeserver.
I think it's best if we just stick to what we can measure with automated
monitoring.  The one big exception is longevity of the service; but I haven't
thought of any way to predict or estimate this in advance based on the
information I have.

Ask