hmm, on Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 01:45:45PM +0100, Nikolay Sturm said that
> Now for your problem, you can just pull the -current port's Makefile to
> your 3.8 machine and it should work. Furthermore it is consensus among
> porters that installing xbase on a machine is not a problem, so the
> broken FLAVOR is a nuisance, nothing more.

that is of the other issues i wanted to talk about later.
call me old fashioned but no_x11 for me means not havint to
install any x*.tgz sets.  now, of course it's not a huge problem
for me to install xbase, it's just that this "consensus" was
never really publicized here before, at least i haven't seen.
maybe it's just me, i was making incorrect assumptions about
what no_x11 means.

and if this is the way it will be, wouldn't it be a good idea
to make an xlib38.tgz which would hold only the libs and nothing
else, after all, isn't it the security mantra that don't install
anything you won't use, and xbase is full of binaries which
will be never used on a firewall?

> Feel free to execrate me for not fixing the problem before 3.8 tree
> freeze.

no need to get angry, it was just a matter of interpreting
'reliability'.

-f
--
a war put off is not a war avoided. -- c. heston