Klemens Nanni:

> > Should xpdf 3 be kept around?
>
> Compared to mupdf, though, xpdf 3 has this nice chapter view and is
> great for navigating specifications and such.

FWIW, FreeBSD has kept an xpdf3 port around.

I also use xpdf3 as my primary PDF viewer/printer and I'm not happy
with the situation.

> I wouldn't mind keeping a copy of old xpdf if it benefits users and
> doesn't turn into an unmaintained port which will eventually lack
> critical fixes or so.

Unfortunately that is already the case as upstream has moved on to
the Qt version.

Back in late 2021, there was a kerfuffle about an Apple security
vulnerability in some crufty JBIG2 code.  Security analyses at the
time mentioned that the vulnerable code had come from xpdf, but it
took about a year for a fix to trickle back to xpdf3.  Although,
it had taken like half a year for a new xpdf4 release, too.

(I remember that I looked for an xpdf fix already when the Apple
thing was in the news but couldn't find one.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de