On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:59:44AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> > 1. When running "make update-plist" I get the following messages:
> > ===
> > make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /etc/kea/kea.conf
> > make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /etc/kea/keactrl.conf
>
> For these, you can often override a variable in upstream's Makefiles
> in FAKE_FLAGS to install these files to /usr/local/share/examples,
> often named sysconfdir or SYSCONFDIR.
>
> <looks at old bind10 port> it's likely to be similar to this
>
> FAKE_FLAGS=     sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/share/examples/
>
> pre-install:
>         mkdir -p ${PREFIX}/share/examples/bind10/

Some trial and error proved that these were pretty much exactly what was
needed, thanks!

This line is now printed instead, guess I can just ignore it?:
===
make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /etc/kea
===

> > make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /etc/rc.d/kea
>
> Ignore this and handle the rcscript in PLIST manually.

I have noticed that update-plist always removes the rcscript in
PLIST, but reading older threads this seems to be a known problem.

> > make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /var/kea
> > make-plist: Bogus element outside of every prefix: /var/run/kea
>
> /var/run is cleared at boot so the /var/run/kea directory needs creating
> in the rcscript. we normally do not include these in plist.

I have removed the PLIST @sample for /var/run/kea, and added an rc_pre()
which creates the directory if it does not exist.

> other comments:
>
> "@sample /etc/kea/" shoukd use SYSCONFDIR and this plist line is usually
> placed near the files that go in that dir

Fixed.

> please order Makefile closer to the section ordering in
> Makefile.template
>
> the shared libs lines are ok (except want to be earlier in the makefile)

I have done a major reorder of the Makefile to mirror the template.

> the static libs are unlikely to be useful, and the whole port is unlikely
> to work without shared libs, so I'd disable them (probably --disable-static
> in CONFIGURE_ARGS, and SHARED_ONLY=Yes) to save build time

This turned out to be the trickiest part. Adding "--disable-static" to
CONFIGURE_ARGS indeed disabled static libraries according to config.log:
===
configure:12388: checking whether to build static libraries
configure:12392: result: no
===

However, the .a files were still being generated by the build.

After digging around I found out about LIBTOOL_FLAGS and added
"LIBTOOL_FLAGS=  --tag=disable-static" and this made the .a files
disappear.

Using LIBTOOL_FLAGS it does not seem to matter if CONFIGURE_ARGS are set
or not, should I use both for good measure or only LIBTOOL_FLAGS? Is
this expected behaviour?

> not a port problem, but "message" is a terrible name for sonething that
> upstream want to place in a system directory!

I have mentioned this in my upstream kea-dev thread.

Attached is the updated port, which only uses LIBTOOL_FLAGS to disable
the static libraries.

Thanks a lot for your time!

--
Patrik Lundin