On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Andre Smagin <a...@smagin.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:12:47 -0700
> Jeremy Evans <jer...@openbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > This is a new port for mp3applygain.  When mp3gain was removed and rgain
> > recommended as its replacement, we lost the ability to apply replaygain
> > information directly to mp3 files, which is necessary if you want to
> > have normalized volume for mp3 files in an mp3 player that doesn't
> > handle replaygain information in tags (common in hardware mp3 players).
> > This utility is designed to do that and just that.
> >
> > I forked mp3applygain from mp3gain, and ripped out pretty much all the
> > code, including the insecure mpglib and the replaygain calculation
> > code.  The only code that remains is the code that applies the
> > replaygain to the file. The replaygain info is provided on the
> > command line.  Example use:
> >
> >   mp3applygain 3.85 2 file.mp3
>
> Interesting.
> I used to be a frequent mp3gain user, I remember the replaygain
> calculation being extremely slow. I finally bit the bullet and spent
> couple weeks reconverting all the CDs into flac format. Still have some
> old scripts using mp3gain - using the exact functionality you describe
> (lossy modification of the mp3 stream). How would you recommend
> calculating the replaygain values now to use with your program?
> I have not looked into rgain yet - is that where you would normally get
> the replaygain data from?

Yes.  rgain stores the replaygain information in the ID3v2 tag for the file.
It also prints out the replaygain after it calculates it for each file, as
well as
the album gain after processing all files, so you could just use the output
if you don't want to extract the information from the ID3v2 tags.

Thanks,
Jeremy