On Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 17:12 CET,
     Nick Smith <nick.smit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You don't need any accounts for the Postfix part, just a transport
> > table that routes certain recipients (or whole domains) to the
> > Exchange server (assuming DNS won't do that job for us). You may
> > need accounts for fetchmail, but since you said that the fetchmail
> > part already is covered I'm confused.
>
> Well i guess when i googled postfix exchange and started seeing all
> this LDAP to AD stuff i guess i confused myself, and im still confused
> as to how this is suppose to work, i dont mess with this often.
>
> Fetchmail pops email accounts via user/pass in config.
> hands all mail to postfix and postfix knows of the exchange server
> locally via dns? or does it check the internet dns and find out that
> the local exchange server is the receiver of the mail?

Postfix will check with DNS (whatever nameserver you have configured it
to use) and will use that information unless you override it with the
transport table.

> I thought for sure id have to setup each account in postfix as well as
> fetchmail, so postfix what mail goes to what user.
>
> I might have answered my own question with the transport mappings, but
> i still dont know how to do it, could you provide some info on that,
> links?

http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps

Again, this is not necessary if your nameserver is setup to direct the
messages to the right server.

> would the setup be different when dealing with exchange? is there a
> transport specifically for exchange?

No. Postfix will speak SMTP to Exchange.

--
Magnus Bäck
mag...@dsek.lth.se