On 24/05/2024 03:03, John Hill via Postfix-users wrote:
I learn something every time I read this group, when I can keep up with the conversation!

I had auth on ports I did not need. I use auth on submission port 587, for users access.

I do get a boat load of failed login attempts on 587. Funny how a China, US, Argentina, you name it, hosts, will try the same failed username password at nearly the same time.

Small world.

I use Fail2Ban to block the failed IP. The script writes it into the nftables table immediately.

I think this keeps Postfix waiting and times out, not a big deal. Is there a cli that my bash script could force disconnect the ip from Postfix?

I did search the man page and the docs, sorry if I missed it.

Thanks

--john

Hi John

maybe controversial for use on the submission service, but a while back I started using spamhaus xbl (the exploits data only, not the PBL or spammer data) as the first check (reject_rbl_client) in smtpd_client_restrictions for the submission service (on which I have AUTH enabled only after STARTTLS). I saw two results

1. there are few illegitimate smtp auth attempts that aren't blocked by XBL and end up trying the credentials

2. even the blocked traffic has fallen off to a small number of tries per day (usually < 20).

Point 2 tends to indicate that the hacker scripts only start hammering when they find an AUTH command enabled.

Fail2ban can still be used for the ips that get through, since then they start hammering, but the cases are so limited I haven't bothered.

John