On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 14:36 +0100, Mark Goodge wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 08:17 -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >> Mark Goodge:

> >> To forward spam reports through Postfix, the recommended solution
> >> is to BASE64 encode the "offending" content.
> >>
> >> See http://www.postfix.org/BUILTIN_FILTER_README.html for points
> >> discussed in this thread and more.
> >>
> >>    Wietse
> > Always a clever answer for a bug - nice one :-) wanker.
>
> I wouldn't call it a bug, since it's a feature that works as designed.
> It is, however, a design choice that makes the feature less useful than
> it otherwise could have been. But the point here is that content
> inspection isn't a core part of the job of an MTA anyway, so if the
> rather simplistic version built in to Postfix isn't sufficient then
> you're no worse off than if it didn't have the facility to begin with.
> The fact that it does it at all is a bonus that may be useful in some
> cases where whitelisting isn't necessary.
>
> Actually, if you wanted to do it all with Postfix then I think one
> solution could be to use multiple SMTP services. Have all inbound mail
> go to the first service, where mail from whitelisted sources is handled,
> then all remaining mail is delivered to the second service which does
> header checks before processing the mail. But there may be other gotchas
> with this that I haven't thought of.
>
> Mark
It's a bug. Read the original question carefully. If I'm pasting the
original headers into the BODY of a fresh mail, and the header filters
are *blocking* it - is that intended behaviour? Answer (hopefully) 'No'.

It's not worth filing a bug report because all that Wietse (and Ralph)
want to do is argue with people all the time. If it's broke, bloody fix
it. It's really ****THAT**** simple :-)