Hi All,

We are doing an upgrade on the machine that holds the postboxes (mailenable) during the upgrade the server will need to be rebooted which renders the boxes unreachable. This causes a 550 error to be sent back to our spam catching server (running MailScanner spamassassin and postfix).

In order to prevent the loss of emails I was going to change the postfix config in the following way

soft_bounce <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce> = yes

Is this going to achieve what I need (i.e. that 550 responses are not treated as permenant and will try again).

Alternatively I was considering stopping the spam server from sending out emails during the upgrade time but I am unsure how to alter the behaviour of postfix so that it receives in email but will then hold it in queue and not attempt to send on.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Kate