Lists:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> We are doing an upgrade on the machine that holds the postboxes
> >> (mailenable) during the upgrade the server will need to be rebooted
> >> which renders the boxes unreachable.
> >> This causes a 550 error to be sent back to our spam catching server
> >> (running MailScanner spamassassin and postfix).
> >>

> > That is a terrible configuration error. A host outage should
> > never result in 5xx mail rejects.
> >
> >     Wietse
> >
> I don't love it either but it is how MailEnable works when it can't
> access the box, it responds with -
> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for originallocalsen...@domain.co.nz (in reply
> to RCPT TO command))

Don't we all love brain-dead systems.

I recently added a translation mapping for SMTP server inputs.
That was meant to map inputs from brain-dead SMTP clients into
something that satisfies basic SMTP syntax rules.

Perhaps I should also add a translation mapping for inputs from
SMTP servers, so that in the future, one could replace the above
reply by a 4xx class reply.