Sorry to bring this here, but we are having trouble setting up a
Postfix/dovecot mail system.

Background:
We are a bunch of retirees, so cost is a factor in any decision. We all
have IT experience, some of going back decades, however the world of
Linux and its software is new to us all. We used the cook book approach
to setting up our first mail system. It uses Postfix/Dovecot on top of
Fedora 8 and so far it works like a charm. While the cook-book approach
got up and running fairly easily I think we missed out on the learning
side of things.

However, there is a growing concern about the basic OS slipping too far
behind on important changes, the same goes for some of the packages we
are planning on using, so we have started looking at alternatives.

Fedora - a little too dynamic for use as a server. This is to be
expected as it is a development system which I don't think is aimed at a
production like environment, plus the latest release seems very desktop
oriented.
Centos 5.4 - while it looks like a good choice, there has been some
political infighting going on recently which makes us a little nervous
about its future. In addition we have found that a number of the core
packages we wish to use are out of date (postfix, dovecot, amavisd-new
among them).
Ubuntu 9.10 Server edition - I am not sure what to say here. While at
first glance it seems to be an ideal solution a, free server
distribution with a Canonical backing it up. However, the setup of some
packages seems to us "odd", overly complicated and arbitrary.
openSUSE - not tied, but some concerns over the Novel /Microsoft deal.

Thanks in advance
John A