On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 10:51:31AM -0500, John wrote:
> Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
> > When it comes down to it, the best distro is the one "you" know
> > how to use.  I would start with a distro that you are most
> > comfortable with and know how to use the best.

+1 ... I started on Slackware and have not yet seen a need to change.
I build Postfix from source, and regularly "make upgrade" to see what
Wietse has been up to. He never disappoints me, it always works.

> I took a quick look at Debian, but as it was very similar to Ubuntu
> (which I know is based on Debian) it looked to have the same problems
> from our perspective. An example, from the Postfix setup was the
> replacement of the LMTP process binary with a symlink to the SMTP
> binary. This may not be a real problem, perhaps the two binaries are the

Postfix rolled lmtp(8) into smtp(8) some years ago, but mine is a
hard link, not a symlink. I don't think there's any reason a symlink
would not work, but I don't see the benefit. Wastes an inode?

> same, and Debian/Ubuntu are being smart, but as I could not find a
> rational for the change I have to wonder if this may be a problem in the
> future.  Other examples are the strange reconfiguration of the Amavisd
> config files, changes to SASL setup, all make us a little nervous.

I agree, IMO Debian introduces too many bugs with their packaging
decisions. I won't elaborate here because the whole thing was off
topic to begin with, and Debian fans would try to counter. Let's say
that I have lost much of the respect I had for Debian, and leave it
at that. The bottom line is what Terry said, above.