Stan Hoeppner:
> Wietse Venema put forth on 12/1/2009 1:20 PM:
>
> > If your performance is inadequate, I suggest that you do a detailed
> > system performance analysis to find out if the limit is CPU, memory,
> > file I/O or perhaps some trivial DNS configuration problem.
>
> That may be difficult for the OP to provide.  From all I've read, his
> perceived performance degradation is being generated by a synthetic load
> test application, SPECmail 2009, in a _lab_ environment, so DNS isn't
> even in the testing.  SPECmail 2009 is designed to test internal

Surely, mail is injected via SMTP, and therefore, the Postfix SMTP
server will attempt to lookup the client hostname and IP address;
since they are using SMTP-based content filters, that is another
source of name service lookups.  All this presents a load on name
service. I have seen enough to know that a bad DNS configuration
can do wonders for performance.