On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:08:12AM -0600, Glenn English wrote:

> It looks to me like the problem has something to do with DNS, not
> SMTP, right?

Yes.

> And why would Yahoo be doing a CNAME lookup?

Their MTA does that for all destinations, among other lookups.

> (I checked
> from a remote site -- my domain's MX server's IP is an A, and I don't
> see anything having to do with CNAMEs in 'host -t MX slsware.com'.)

Your DNS server is a bit odd:

$ dig +trace -t any slsware.com

    slsware.com.                172800  IN      NS      ns1.richeyrentals.com.
    slsware.com.                172800  IN      NS      ns1.slsware.com.
    slsware.com.                172800  IN      NS      server.slsware.com.
    ;; Received 148 bytes from 192.5.6.30#53(A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 46 ms

While asking for "cname" or "mx" works... Perhaps their code does a
"T_ANY" lookup.

--
        Viktor.

environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.