On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:32:13PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > > And why would Yahoo be doing a CNAME lookup?
> >
> > Their MTA does that for all destinations, among other lookups.
> >
> > Your DNS server is a bit odd:
> >
> > $ dig +trace -t any slsware.com
> >
> >     ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > While asking for "cname" or "mx" works... Perhaps their code does a
> > "T_ANY" lookup.
>
> If I recall correctly, Yahoo runs a modified qmail, and indeed:
>
>    switch(resolve(sa,T_ANY))

So that's the issue then, the DNS server in question does not support
T_ANY. Most likely it is behind a firewall that does not understand T_ANY,
and drops the DNS packets for security reasons. Otherwise, the DNS server
itself is deficient.

--
        Viktor.

environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.